20th bake. 100% WW. 1/8 tsp yeast.
[ editing in progress. ]
Sep 13-14, 2020.
This is my first loaf bake in six months. I have been making small flatbreads in the meantime.
I milled seven pounds of flour on Friday the 11th — 3 pounds of Prairie Gold hard white spring wheat, 2 pounds of Kamut, and 2 pounds of hard red winter wheat.
The goal here was to re-do the previous bake, #19: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/62664/19th-bake-3202020-18-tsp-instant-yeast
with a longer autolyse, and a shorter ferment.
Previous bake had 58 min autolyse, 12 hrs 11 min bulk ferment, and 1 hr 15 min final proof. That was over-fermented. It also had 90.3% hydration. I checked my paper note sheet, and didn’t see any mention of it being too wet. I should have re-read my blog entry, where I noted that 90% was too slack.
This had 2 hrs 2 min autolyse (no yeast/no salt), 9 hrs 14 min bulk ferment, 1 hr 22 min proof. This was also over-fermented, but not as much as previously. Less yeast, or less bulk/final time, or doing part of bulk in fridge may have been the right move.
For this bake, #20, after adding the salt, the dough mass was very stiff and tight. But after the bulk ferment, it was too wet and slack. Hence…. use less water next time too, and wait for it to slacken to do kneading or stretch and folds. But it was late, after 11pm, and I did not follow my own advice (that I have already blogged about.)
9:09 pm. Mix 586 grams home-milled flour (400 g Prairie Gold, 120 g Kamut, 66 g HRWW) and 497 g bottled spring water. 84.8% hydration at this point. It felt just right for an autolyse of WW.
[ 2 hours 2 minutes autolyse.]
11:11 pm. Added 1/8 tsp instant dry yeast. Added 32 g bottled spring water mixed with 11.7 g salt (mix of Himalayan pink salt and generic iodized salt. It became very stiff, but did some gentle kneading and stretch and folds to get it well incorporated.