Lotus is a kind of plant which root is planted in the soil of the pond or river bottom, while the leaves float on top of the water surface. The flower grows on a thick and long stem, and it is typically rising several inches above the water. Most of the parts on lotus plant are edible. For example, the flowers are used for garnish, large leaves are used to wrap food, roots are used to as vegetables to make soup or stir fry and seeds are used to make paste.
Below is the recipe for a traditional Chinese soup which is cooked using lotus root, spareribs and red dates.
– 1/2 lb spareribs
– 1/2 lb lotus root (you can get from Asian store)
– 10 red dates
– 5-6 whole white pepper, crushed
– 6 cups water
– Salt to taste
1. Wash and cut the spareribs into pieces, set them aside
2. Peel and cut the lotus root into thin slices. If you buy the “ready cut” lotus root, you can skip this step
3. Wash and slice the red dates. Do not cut it into half, just slightly slice it
4. Put in water, spareribs, lotus root, red dates, and crushed pepper into a crockpot.
5. Cook until the spareribs are soft
6. Add in salt to taste
You can cook this soup using crockpot or pot. Boil the soup for 6-7 hours under low heat if you are using crockpot, and boil it for 1-2 hours over medium heat if using conventional pot.
You can get more soup recipes from Chinese Soup Recipes Site . All the soup recipes inside the page are suitable for crockpot cooking.