Any baked, grilled, fried, smoked, steamed, stewed, stuffed, glazed, broiled or what have you recipe there is, it is not Tilapia Fish Recipes if it has no Tilapia in it.
Now let's get to know our fish.
Tilapia were originally found in Africa but today can be found to inhabit different fresh water habitats like streams, ponds, rivers and lakes around the world. They are tropical fish and can only stand temperatures abouve 55 * F.
Some interesting and trivial facts about the fish that they read their young on their mouths until they have grown enough to fend for themselves, The tilapia also, at some time, were released into the Kenyan waters to feed on mosquito larva to address malaria epidemic. They also played a role in the World War II as prime protein source for the poor. And one of its species, the Nile Tilapia also known as St. Louis. Peter Fish is also speculated to be the fish Jesus multiplied and fed to the masses at the Sermon on the Mount as the fish is native to the sea of Galilee.
Their appetite, quick growth and breeding, characteristics made the Tilapia the third only to cars and salmonids in the importance in aquaculture.
Tilapia farming has been around a couple and hal thousand years and it is said that farming the fist started in Israel. In 2002 tilapia production went up to 1,505,804 tons and today Taiwan is the largest exporter of Tilapia and the US and Japan being the largest consumers.
The comercial culture of tilapia is almost exclusive these 3 species:
Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis nilotica)
Of the three tilapia species that has the potential for aquaculture, the Nile Tilapia is the most comonly used species in tilapia in fish farming.
Blue Tilapia (Oreochromis aurea)
More at home in salty waters and lower temperatures, the blue tilapia is the next most cultured tilapia specie.
Black Tilapia or Java tilapia. (Oreochromis mossambica)
Very much like the Blue Tilapia in their spawning age and toleracen in salty water, their males grow faster than the other two mentions species.
General Buying Tips that applies only for the Tilapia Fish
The phrase 'Smells fishy' is actually to connote something that is not good and that is probably because who came up with that phrase probably only bought fish 'late in the afternoon' when they are no longer fresh, but most of the fish you will purchase would most probably come frozen. Fresh fish smells 'sweet', it should smell a bit different but without the strong 'fishy' smell that means the fish is past its prime.
Fresh fish should not smell bad.
Look at it!
If it looks like fresh out of the water, firm flesh and bright eyes and red gills are signs of freshness. The eyes of the fish are the easiest indicators of freshness, if itis blotshot, like say in tilapia fish or milk fish, then it might be a better idea to move along. Fillets should look bright without discoloration.
Fish meat is very perishable and if you are going to freeze it for more than 2 days it should be wrapped well in freezer paper. Only thaw the fish when you are going to cook it, thawing and re-freezing is not a good idea.
Tilapia Fish Recipes Quick Tip: Remove the Muddy Taste –
Common with fish that includes vegetation in their diet, the tilapia fish has a somewhat muddy taste, though I myself have never encountered this muddy taste or i might have grown accustomed to it and probably is the very same flavor that i liked about the tilapia fish but i know others prefers the fish without this flavor.
So if you found this flavor not your liking then to counter act this muddy taste, a 15-20 minute marinating in buttermilk should sip out the unwanted taste out of the fish before going through your tilapia fish recipes.
Quick and Easy Recipes | Tilapia Fish Stew
This one is an easy dish to make with fantastic taste with only a few ingredients. The clam juice is what gives this recipe the tasty results. Easy to prepare and works best with Tilapia Fish, I am pretty sure you will find this absolutely delicious!
* 6 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 cup of chopped onions
* 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
* 2/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 cup of fresh chopped tomato (about 1 medium sized tomato)
* 2 tsp of tomato paste
* 8 oz of clam juice
* 2/3 cup dry white wine
* 1 1/2 lb Tilapia Fish fillets cut into 2-inch pieces
* Touch of dry oregano, Tabasco, thyme, pepper
1. Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and sautÃ © for 4 minutes and you can also add some celery and mushroom at this point for added flavor. Add parsley and stir for 2 minutes. Add tomato and tomato paste and let cook for 2 minutes longer.
2. Add clam juice, dry white wine, and fish and simmer until the Tilapia fish is cooked through, that should be less than 10 minutes. Add seasoning. Salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Quick and Easy Recipes | Baked Tilapia Fish
This recipe is not only for making baked tilapia but can also be used to prepare any type of mild flavored and firm fleshed white fish fillets.
Total preparation time for this very affordable dish is 40 minutes, of which 20 minutes is used for baking the tilapia in the oven. This specific recipe needs 4 ounces of tilapia fish fillets and is enough to serve 4 servings.
* 4 (4 ounce) tilapia fillets
* 3/4 cup of olive oil, preferably extra virgin olive oil
* 1/4 teaspoon of salt
* 1/8 teaspoon of grounded black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
* 1 teaspon of garlic powder
* 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
* 1 green bell pepper
* 1 onion (large)
* 4 tablespoons of butter
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175Â ° C / 350Â ° F.
2. Coat the bottom of a medium sized baking dish with about 1/4 cup of olive oil.
3. Mix the rest of the olive oil with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and tomato paste into a small bowl
4. With the skin side up, place the tilapia fish fillet in the baking dish.
5. Pour the olive oil with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and tomato paste mixture into the bowl of tilapia fish fillets and spread the mix with spatula.
6. Place the green bell pepper and the onion slices around the tilapia fillets
7. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. The baked tilapia is finished when you can easily flake it using a fork.
8. Remove the baked tilapia from the oven and place 1 tablespoon of butter on top of each fillet.
Quick and Easy Recipes | Grilled Tilapia with Mango Salsa
This has got to be one of the best Tilapia Fish Recipes I came across with. Not only does it taste good, it looks good too!
Preparations should take about 45 minutes, 1 hour for marinating the tilapia fish, and about 10 minutes cooking the fish. All in all, this tilapia fish recipes should be ready in about an hour and 55 minutes.
* 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets
* 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
* 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
* 2 tablespoons minced red onion
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
* 2 tablespoons lime juice
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix together the extra-virgin olive oil, the lemon juice, parsley, garlic, basil, pepper, and salt in a bowl and pour into the tilapia fish fillets in a resealable plastic bag. squeeze out the air from the bag and marinate for 1 hour in the refitirator.
2. Prepare the mango salsa by combining the mango, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper in a bowl. Add the lime juice and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Remove the tilapia from the marinade and grill the fillets until the fish is no longer translucent in the center and flakes easily with a fork, 3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fillets. Serve the tilapia topped with mango salsa. Enjoy!
Broiled Tilapia Fish in Creamy Parmesan Cheese
Preparation for this awesome tilapia fish recipes should take about 15 minutes in which 5 minutes is used for preparing and cooking time of 10 minutes.
* 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
* 2 pounds tilapia fillets
1. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil and preheat your oven's broiler.
2. Sprinkle the celery salt, pepper, dried basil leaves and onion powder into bowl of mixed parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice and set aside.
3. Arrange the tilapia fish fillets in a single layer on the greased broiling pan and broil the fish for 2 to 3 minutes a few inches away from the heat. Flip the fillets and then do the other side for two more minutes.
4. Remove the broiled tilapia fish from the oven and cover the top side with the parmesan cheese mixture. And broil for 2 more minutes until the mixture on top of the tilapia fish fillets is browned and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Be mindful of the cooking time as you do not want the tilapia fish over cooked.
A few notes before wrapping up. This recipe can easily be modified to fit your taste. Like you can use celery seeds in place of celery salt or add 1/2 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes and forgo the lemon juice. You can also add bread crumbs to thicken the mix. And a lot of people using this recipe found seasoning it with a bit of Old Bay seasoning really adds to the flavor as well.
Lemon Garlic Tilapia Fish Recipes
A Tilapia Fish Recipes on Lemon Garlic
Marinating the tilapia fish in this recipes should take exactly 5 minutes and cooking time is 5 to 10 minutes which makes this tilapia fish recipes a fairly quick cook.
* 2 tilapia fillets
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* Cajun spice to taste
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* Juice of 1/2 a lemon
* 1 clove of garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* chopped cilantro or parsley
1. Mix the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Dip the tilapia fish fillets, coat and allow to marinate not longer than 5 minutes.
2. Pre-heat a nonstick fry for about 2 to 3 minutes or until its hot and add oil and swirl to cover the surface of the pan then add the fish fillets. Lower the heat to medium high and sprinkle the spice to taste and let cook for five minutes or so and turn the fish over and cook the other side until the tilapia fish meat is white in color.
3. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and additional Cajun spice if you like it hot (or not if you just like a little kick) and serve.
4. Add the garnish. And feel free to make a few configurations to suit your taste.