Instant Pot Salisbury Steak, Gravy and Mashed Potatoes–good old fashioned salisbury steak is prepared in your pressure cooker with a savory mushroom and onion gravy and creamy mashed potatoes. An amazing homemade one pot meal that will have you throwing away any TV dinners that you have in your freezer.
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak, Gravy and Mashed Potatoes
I have to admit I have never made salisbury steak before and I wasn’t entirely sure exactly what it was. I came to learn that salisbury steak is not steak at all but it’s ground beef that is seasoned and formed into patties and typically served with a mushroom gravy. I was skeptical. However, after I tried it I realized it’s super delicious. It is almost like an individual serving of meatloaf in a patty form. Except better. Better because it’s browned and it’s served with a savory mushroom gravy. I’m a huge mushroom fan so this made the meal for me.
I realized that salisbury steak must be served with mashed potatoes. You’ve got all that delicious gravy it just makes sense to have mashed potatoes with it. However I really really wanted to find a way to cook the salisbury steak, the gravy and the mashed potatoes all at the same time and in the same pot. It took a little bit of ingenuity but I must say I nailed it.
The prep time to make Instant Pot salisbury steak, gravy and mashed potatoes is a little bit longer than some recipes. It took me about 30 minutes to get everything in the pot and cooking. But the pressure cooking time is only 5 minutes and then a 5 minute natural pressure release. So you can definitely be eating this meal an hour after you start it.
I made Instant Pot salisbury steak, gravy and mashed potatoes last night for our family Valentine’s dinner and everyone was impressed. They only wished there was more. This recipe serves 4 hungry people but not much more than that. If you have an 8 quart Instant Pot you can double the recipe but unfortunately if you have a 6 quart Instant Pot you can fit enough to serve 4 and that’s about it. If you wanted to forego the mashed potatoes you can and then you’d have more room for doubling the meat and the gravy.
More one pot Instant Pot meals you’ll love…
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Bowls
Instant Pot Pork Steaks with Gravy and Potatoes
Instant Pot Bacon BBQ Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes
What Equipment Do I Need?
For Instant Pot Salisbury Steak, Gravy and Mashed Potatoes I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Other items I used to make Instant Pot salisbury steak, gravy and mashed potatoes:
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak, Gravy and Mashed Potatoes
Good old fashioned salisbury steak is prepared in your pressure cooker with a savory mushroom and onion gravy and creamy mashed potatoes. An amazing homemade one pot meal that will have you throwing away any TV dinners that you have in your freezer.
For the Steak:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (mine was 80/20)
- 1/3 cup garlic and herb breadcrumbs (I used Progresso brand)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
For the Gravy:
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 8 ounces diced mushrooms (this will seem like a lot but they cook down)
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth (or 1 1/2 cups water with 1 1/2 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and diced (like the size you’d use for potato salad)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Prepare all your ingredients: For this recipe I diced the onions, mushrooms, peeled the potatoes, peeled the garlic cloves and laid out all the ingredients on my counter. It makes the cooking process much quicker if you have everything kind of ready to go.
- Make your steaks: In a medium bowl use your hands (I like to use gloves* for this step) to combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, steak seasoning, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Divide the meat into four equal portions. Form into patties about 3/4 inch thick.
- Brown the patties: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function. When it reads HOT on the display add in 1 Tbsp of vegetable/canola oil. Carefully place the patties in the pot and brown on each side for 3 minutes. Do not mess with them while they are browning. Just give them the full 3 minutes on each side. Gently transfer the patties to a plate. Set aside.
- Make your gravy: There should be oil in the pot still from the beef and the oil. Add in your diced onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add in your mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the beef broth.
- Potatoes: Place a steamer basket* in the Instant Pot on top of the beef broth. Place all your diced potatoes and the 2 peeled garlic cloves into the steamer basket.
- Place a flat piece of foil on top of the potatoes/steamer basket. Gently place your steaks on top of the foil.
- Pressure cook. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual button or pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the cook time ends let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then move the valve to venting and release any remaining pressure.
- Prepare mashed potatoes: While the food is pressure cooking get a serving bowl out for the mashed potatoes. Put the half and half and the butter in the bottom of the bowl. When the pressure is released, carefully open the lid. Use silicone oven mitts to remove the foil* (it will be hot!) and set the meat aside. Carefully remove the steamer basket full of potatoes. Pour the potatoes and garlic in the bowl with the half and half and butter. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. The potatoes will be so hot they will melt the butter. Add in 1/2 tsp of salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Finish the gravy: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function. In a small bowl stir together the 1 Tbsp of cornstarch and 1 Tbsp of water until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot. The gravy will thicken almost immediately. Once it does, switch the Instant Pot to the Keep Warm function. Stir in 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Serve: Spoon potatoes onto each serving plate and top with a steak patty and ladle gravy over the top. Enjoy!
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.