With the US-led global economic meltdown causing more stress and anxiety each day, almost every household is striving hard to save every dollar possible. As the food prices are soaring high, a few changes in food habits are also essential to keep the expenditure within the budget. But, the main question that arises here is, “Is it possible to eat good and healthy while spending less?” The answer is a definite “yes”.
Well, many websites and magazines that deal with cooking and food are offering several money-saving ideas to people now-a-days. We are often persuaded to stop buying ready-made foods, eat legumes, give up meat, use our food coupons wisely, or even pack our lunches to office. All these are no doubt very good ideas. But, what should one eat when he/she is really broke? Can’t something simple, tasty, healthy, and cheap be prepared at home? Yes, it is possible to do so. All you need to do is use a little creativity in kitchen. Here is an interesting budget recipe that you can try at home:
Preparation of Vegan Stew: An Amazing Recession Food Recipe
The principle behind preparing this stew is extremely simple. Just follow a few steps as follows:
1) Put whatever is left in your kitchen, for instance canned vegetables, into a pot. Canned vegetables are not only healthy, but are also cheap. You can try canned corn as well, if you have some.
2) Use the liquid the veggies are packed in as the broth in the stew. Canned tomatoes and beans are particularly good for this.
3) In case you do not have any broth, just use some hot water instead.
4) Next, add potato, garlic, spices, or the left over bacon – just whatever you can get your hand on in your kitchen. Do you have a cup of rice or some left over chicken? If yes, do not mind adding that too!
5) Then, cook everything you have put in the pot till all gets tender enough to eat. Thus, with the required broth, vegetables, starch (rice), protein, and an amazing aroma, your Vegan Stew is ready to serve. If you are a non-vegetarian, you can add some leftover chicken to your stew, if you wish.
A medley of vegetables in the Vegan Stew gives this wholesome day-before-payday meal loads of nutrients and a hearty broth. Did this recipe sound gross? Well, may be, but try it once, it is really tasty, and above all, it is healthy and cheap.