Dining out can be problematic for those of us who are trying to lose weight. When we are surrounded by all the delicious scents of various fried and sizzled foods, it is often difficult to stick to our diets. We try to justify it for ourselves by saying that we can skip our low fat dinner routine just this once. However, that is exactly how weight gain starts. If you are currently on a diet then dining out should not change your eating habits. You should always stick with healthy alternatives versus empty calories. In this article I will provide you with several nutrition tips when dining out.
- Always choose simply prepared foods. Anything broiled, roasted, and baked is far healthier than fried or sautéed. You should also try to avoid casseroles and foods which are served in heavy sauces and gravies.
- When in doubt, always ask the waiter wherever your meal can be prepared without butter, margarine, gravy or any other sauces. More and more restaurants are currently a lot more accommodating to customers.
- When ordering a salad, be sure to ask for low fat dressing and to request dressing on the side. When wearing is on the side you have better control over how much you consume.
- When choosing a side, stay away from loaded mashed potatoes and fries, instead ask for steamed or grilled veggies.
- when its time for dessert and you just have to have something, instead of ice cream, cake, or pie, try fruit salad, nonfat frozen yogurt, or sherbet. If they do not carry any healthy alternatives, suggest dessert somewhere else.